"REALIZE THIS TRUTH"

Preached by Rev. Ed Brouwer at The Gathering Place, Osoyoos
Pulpit Series Volume 22, Issue 7     March 4, 2012

Truth: You Are Accepted, Secure & Special In Christ
 
The following promises of God are very important and will greatly help you as you learn to “not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind”.

Back in high school, the cafeteria had posters encouraging the students to eat well-balanced diets.  I remember one poster in particular it read, “You are what you eat”.

In other words, it was saying that the kind of fuel I put into my body, determined my performance - the higher the octane level, the higher the output.  This is true in the spiritual as well.

If healthy eating is the key to well-being,
then healthy thinking is the key to wholeness of mind.

Food affects all of our body cells, and by extension, every aspect of our being.  Just like food, what we allow our mind to dwell on, affects our mood, energy levels, food cravings, thinking capacity, sleeping habits and general health.

Just like when you feed on junk food, stinking thinking will cause you to become low in energy, even low in brain power.

Proverbs 23:7 tells us that, “as a man thinks, so he becomes.”

In other words, what you put into your mind determines what comes out in your words and actions.

As a man continues to think, so he remains.  What you focus on is what you develop.  What are you focusing on?

If you are thinking on negative, critical, demeaning thoughts, that is precisely what you will become.

In Philippines 4:4-8, the Apostle Paul tells us to “not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admi rable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”

We need to:
  • Reprogram our minds with thoughts that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy.
  • Examine what you are putting into your mind through television, books, conversations, movies and magazines
  • Replace harmful input with wholesome material
  • Above all, read God’s Word and pray.  Ask God to help you focus your mind on what is good and pure.  It takes practice, but it can be done.
  • Take time each day to be still and know that God is God
One way you can begin realizing God’s destiny for you is to know what God has said about you.

Below, there is a list of promises from God. Read them out loud. And then, each day for the next 21 days, read them out loud to yourself.

Read them in the early morning when you get up or save them for just before bed.  Perhaps take a copy with you to read out at your lunch break.  No matter when, read them out loud once a day, for the next three weeks.

You will want to refer to these powerful statements often.

You might find it beneficial to post these powerful promises on the fridge or bathroom mirror.  Do whatever it takes to get these promises in front of you, so that you can review them often and always be mindful of God’s great promises for you.

Although you may be reluctant to say these out loud, there is a powerful effect brought by vocalizing God’s Word.

I am sure you’ll begin realizing the life changing truth of God’s promises for you.

I am accepted - God says that ...
• I am God’s child  John 1:12
• I am Christ’s friend  John 15:15
• I have been justified  Romans 5:1
• I am united with the Lord and I am one spirit with Him
  1 Corinthians 6:17
• I have been bought with a price; I belong to God
  1 Corinthians 6:19&20
• I am a member of Christ’s body  1 Corinthians 12:27
• I have been adopted as God’s child  Ephesians 1:5
• I have direct access to God through the Holy Spirit
  Ephesians 2:18
• I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins  Colossians 1:14
• I am complete in Christ  Colossians 2:10

I am secure - God says that ...
• I am free forever from condemnation  Romans 8:1&2
• He will work all things together for good  Romans 8:28
• I cannot be separated from the love of God  Romans 8:35-39
• I have been established, anointed and sealed by God
  11 Corinthians 1:21-22
• He will finish the good work He started in me  Philippians 1:6
• I am a citizen of heaven  Philippians 3:20
• I am hidden with Christ  Colossians 3:3
• I can find mercy and grace to help in time of need  Hebrews 4:16
• I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me  1 John 5:18
• He has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a
  sound mind II Timothy 1:7

I am special - God says that ...
• I am the salt of the earth and light of the world  Matthew 5:13-14
• I am a branch of the true vine, Jesus, a channel of His life
  John 15:15
• I have been chosen to bear fruit  John 15:16
• I am a personal, Spirit-empowered witness of Christ   Acts 1:8
• I am a temple of God  11 Corinthians 3:16
• I am a minister of reconciliation for God  11 Corinthians 5:17-21
• I am God’s co-worker  11 Corinthians 6:1
• I am seated with Christ in the heavenly realm  Ephesians 2:6
• I am God’s workmanship, created for good works  Ephesians 2:10
• I may approach God with freedom and confidence  Ephesians 3:12
• I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
  Philippians 4:13

Some ways of dealing with the burdens of life:
  • Accept that some days you’re the pigeon, and some days you’re the statue.
  • Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
  • If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
  • It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
  • Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance.
  • When everything’s coming your way, you’re in the wrong lane.
  • Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
  • Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.
  • A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

No comments: