“A Thought Or Two”

Preached by Rev. Ed Brouwer at The Gathering Place, Osoyoos
Pulpit Series    Volume 20    Issue 17           Aug 15th, 2010

My friend Erhard tells me that a man can comprehend 600 words a minute.  I’m not sure about that, however, I do know that my mind at times is dealing with a multitude of thoughts, ideas and questions all at the same time.

II Corinthians 10:5 tells us to “bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ”.

Since coming to the Lord in 1972, I have had many “food for thought” moments.  Sometimes the Lord shows me a single word in a verse that sends me on an adventure in His Word that feeds my soul for weeks on end.  The word “and” in “Go tell the disciples and Peter”.  The word “there” in “I have commanded the ravens to feed you there.” 

I’ve experienced many highs and a few - just a few lows.  I can honestly say that I’ve been touched by God, physically, mentally and spiritually.  I’ve experienced many personal miracles.

My preaching has been influenced much by David Wilkerson, Charles Spurgeon, Vance Havnar and believe it or not, Louis  L’ Amour, author of over 100 western novels.

I endeavor to live a life that pleases God and I try to adhere to the code of the west.  For the most part, I look at life through the abundant blessing of God’s provision.  Psalm 23:5 “My cup overflows”.

THINGS I WONDER ABOUT
I wonder what church would consider for a pastor, a preacher with this description: Has eye trouble; is not much of a speaker;  does not play up to the pillars of the church; has had a run-in with one of the main leaders; respects them but says he is called from higher up; stirs up the people; is called an  upsetter; is old fashioned; condemns false teaching openly; won't play ball with liberals; believes in church discipline; oh, yes, is often in jail.  

Am I trying to be funny?
No!  This man's name is Paul the Apostle.

THINGS I HOPE
I hope…..
· God says, “Well done”!
· my wife knows how much I love her.
· our sons and daughters will not just hear about the great things our God does, but that they will experience Him!
· our grandchildren and our great grandchildren follow fully after our God.
· to be remembered simply by these words “He just loved us”.

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels and have not love, I am become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.”         I Corinthians 13:1

THINGS I’M SURE OF
· We have everything we need
We will always have all we need, to do all that God wants us to do, as long as He wants us to do it.

· We must say “Yes” To God
“Submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil and he’ will flee from you.”  James 4:7

You have to say “yes” to God first before you can effectively say “no” to the devil.

· We must make the Gospel available
It is not our responsibility to make it acceptable, it is our duty to make it available.

· We must extend our Spiritual
     coastline
There are few, who like Jabez, ask God to enlarge their coast.  In this age of comfort, it is easier to expand our physical waistline than to extend our spiritual coastline!
· The obligations of the Church
It is the business of the preacher to fill the  pulpit while it is the business of the church members to fill the church.

THINGS I KNOW
· Birds of a feather flock together
If it looks like a duck, quacks like duck, walks like a duck and prefers the company of the ducks, it is hard for me to resist the conclusion that it must be a duck!

“Birds of a feather flock together” and where you feel at home is most likely where you belong.  When Peter was released from jail, he headed for a prayer meeting.

We gravitate to what lures us most and eventually we show up where we belong.

“We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren”.  
I John 3:14

If we don't love the brethren, we belong to the other crowd.

· Nothing important has changed
The sky is still blue, the grass green.  The birds sing the same songs.  The Bible is still God’s Word and Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

· My name is in His book
“...they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.”  Revelation 21:27 
“...his name shall be in their foreheads.” Revelation 22:4. 

My name is in His book and His name is on my forehead.
THINGS I TRUST
· Salvation
I worked for many years as an electrician and I know a little bit about it.  Please know that I don't understand it all, but I don’t have to sit in the dark until I do!

I don't have to understand all about the plan of salvation, I only have to trust God and stand on His promises.

There’s the saying…..WWJD (What Would Jesus Do), but I say, WWJHMD (What Would Jesus Have Me Do)!!

· The fourfold test
If you have a questionable issue in your life, something you are not sure about, put it to this fourfold test.

1. Test of Expediency                                         
     I Corinthians 6:12                                                   
     It may be good, but is it good for me?

2. Test of Enslavement                                                                     
     I Corinthians 6:12                                        
     Does it make me a slave?

3. Test of Edification                                                  
     I Corinthians 10:23
     Does it build me up?

4. Test of Example  
     I Corinthians 8
     Does it offend the weaker brother?

ONE THING WE NEED
“Not by might, nor by power,
but by my spirit, says the Lord of hosts.”
ZECHARIAH 4:6       
Unfortunately, the effectiveness of many churches is summed up in the words spoken to Jesus by the father who brought his demonized son to the disciples: “I asked your disciples to cast him out; and they couldn’t.”  Matthew 17

Just like young David, we cannot meet the Goliath of this age in Saul’s armor.

· Never has the church had more wire stretched with less power in it.

· Never again will the church have to say, “Silver and Gold have we none.”  but then again nor can she say, “rise up and walk”. 

Like Samson, we don’t realize that the Spirit has departed, we just keep “shaking ourselves”.

Look what our Lord said to the churches in the book of Revelation: 
Ephesus was loveless and didn't know it. 
Sardis was lifeless and didn't know it.     
Laodicea was lukewarm and didn't know it.  

“You say. . . and know not” is descriptive of far too many churches today.

We need the empowerment of
God’s Spirit. 

The proof of that is found in…
John 7:38-39  “He that believes on me, as the scripture has said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet [given]; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.”
“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are
honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report;
if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”
Philippians 4:8



No comments: