"The Three Distinct Marks"

Preached by Rev. Ed Brouwer at The Gathering Place, Osoyoos
Pulpit Series Volume 20 Issue 5 April 4, 2010


The true message of Easter can be summed up by the words of John 3:16-17.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

The words of the song “He knew me” always get to me. 

He knew me yet He loved me
He whose glory makes the heavens shine
So unworthy of such mercy
When He was on the cross I was on His mind 

Romans 5:8 God commended his love toward us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 

It was prophesied of Christ in Isaiah 50:6  I gave my back to the smiters and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

Over 600 solders spat on Him, they beat on Him and they plucked His beard!  And when they had finished their cruel mocking they led him away to be crucified.  Yet even then as Jesus hung on the cross He asked the Father to forgive the people....that my friends is GOOD NEWS

Something wonderful happened at Calvary!

Colossians 2:14-15 
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;.... And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly!


Our dying Christ cried "It is finished".  God was fully revealed in the death of Christ.  

The tomb is empty! 
But His salvation is full!

Because of Christ’s victorious cry you and I can be saved - the debt of the law has been satisfied grace now triumphs. 

Now understand this -
if Christ has finished the work for us -
He will also finish the work in us!

I have seen a strange thing happening with modern day believers - many people stay depressed and mournful after their confession of sin. 

The Word tells us that they ought to pass straight on by simple faith to the blood ever flowing and cleansing. 

For where the blood cleanses the Spirit  witnesses and where the Spirit wirtnesses the cups always flow over.

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified to me and I to the world.

A. W. Tozer says that people who are crucified with Christ have three distinct marks:
1. They are facing only one direction.
2. They can never turn back.
3. They no longer have plans of their own.

When I heard that Jesus, Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross. When I believed Jesus died for our sins once for all! 

When I began to understand that He, who had no sin became sin for us, so we might become the righteousness of God. It moved me to do something!

I had to either accept this to be true or reject it as hogwash. 

I chose the first - I chose to believe God’s Word to be true.

That choice changed my life and my future.  I can say this - I am heading in only one direction - I’m heaven bound! 

Friends once I started on my journey I have never looked back, not once. 

I believe with all my heart that Jesus redeemed us from the curse.

I am working on the third mark, that being my plans are not to be my own.  I admit I still get in God’s way at times.

God does not bandage up our old life He gives us a brand new one. 

In coming to Christ we do not bring our old life to a higher plane; we leave it at the cross!

The true Gospel message is not one of a compromise, but an ultimatum. 

Many Canadians believe they are going to Heaven, yet many of them hardly ever pray, read the Bible, or attend church.

They admit that they live to please themselves instead of God.

I wonder why these people would want to go to heaven.

However, unless our attitudes toward the Lord and our appreciation of Him change greatly, heaven may be more of a shock than a glory.

I believe in the power of the cross…        Colossians 2:14-15 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; [And] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Jesus, who died for your sins, is worthy to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing.

He is worthy to be believed 100%!
He is worthy to be followed 100%!

A wife who is 85% faithful to her husband is not faithful at all. There is no such thing as part-time loyalty to Jesus Christ.

No comments: