"Will You Be Found Sleeping With The Five Foolish Virgins?"

Preached by Rev. Ed Brouwer at The Gathering Place
Pulpit Series Volume 17 Issue 15 04/22/2007

Isaiah then describes an unusual scene: In that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by your name, to take away our reproach Isaiah 4:1

Seven virgins tried to make a deal to marry a man. Yet, not a word was whispered about an engagement, intimacy, forsaking others, remaining faithful. These women were looking for a loveless, noncommittal marriage, to provide them with a certain status. The number 7 in scriptures usually represents spiritual things. These 7 women may well represent certain people who appear to have a part in God's kingdom. All we want is your name, to take away our reproach.

I believe Isaiah is speaking of the church. He illustrates something important here. He's saying that would-be believers will try to have a marriage of convenience with Christ. They'll want to appear spiritual, claiming to be part of the kingdom of God. They will say things like, I want you, Lord, but I want to go my own way and do my own thing. Just give me your name. I want to be known as one of yours. These folk don't want to have intimacy with the Lord, or to be dependent on him. They want to live unto themselves, no obligations, no commitment.

Is it possible that Isaiah's prophecy is being fulfilled right now. Churches around the world are filled with millions of people calling themselves Christians, yet have no intimacy with Jesus.

They spend no time in prayer with Him, no time in the Word, They have no idea what God desires of them. Incredibly, God has continued to bear with these people…. Somehow, these people have attached themselves to Christ's name. Yet they did so wholly on their own.

Our Lord won't have any part of such an arrangement. The wise virgin, has great passion for the bridegroom. She constantly longs for intimacy with him: My beloved is mine, and I am his Song of Solomon 2:16. Indeed, the cry of the true Christian is, Lord, I don't want just your name. I desire you at all times. I think of you every night, as I go to bed. And every morning when I wake, my heart goes out to you. Isaiah 26:8-9

The true believer declares, I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation, he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorns herself with jewels Isaiah 61:10

We're also going to witness an incredible scene from Jesus' parable: While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept Matthew 25:5 All the virgins, both foolish and wise, were asleep. Christ is describing a slumbering church just prior to his coming. He warns in Mark, Watch therefore: for you know not when the master of the house comes... Watch that he doesn’t find you sleeping. I say to all, Watch Mark 13:35-37

I’ve always wanted to advertise a sermon title “Will you be found sleeping with the five foolish virgins?” How could these wise virgins be slumbering? How could any godly servant, waiting for Jesus' return for so long, be asleep as the Lord approaches?

Christ's prophesied that in the last days, a great falling away would take place in the church. Paul admonishes Now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed Romans 13:11 Paul's warning suggests that just before Jesus returns, a great slumber will fall upon many Christians. Even the righteous will be in danger of slumbering. Paul also warned, Ephesians 5:14-16 Wake up, saints. Don't be sleeping virgins. Be wise, and stay watchful for the Lord's return. Make no mistake about who Paul is addressing here. He's speaking to "followers of God...dear children" 5:1

Many believers are going to be tested by this great slumber.

Our Lord's return is closer now than ever. Yet, as I look around, I see many believers falling into a deep sleep. Indeed, over the years this spirit of slumber has already overtaken multitudes. At one time, these people longed for his coming and diligently prepared to meet him. Wide awake with hearts on fire, full of passion for Christ. But over time, they began slowly turning away. Now they make up the company of foolish virgins. This issue of slumbering Christians has been burning in my spirit for years now. I believe God is speaking to many other shepherds. Yet multitudes of God's spokesmen have fallen asleep, just as the sheep in their care have. Isaiah described what we're seeing today, when he cried out, His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber Isaiah 56:10 The unwise virgins were not present at the marriage supper. They were shut out completely. Only those who were prepared were allowed to be with him. At midnight there was a cry made Matthew 25:6

God in His faithfulness has a holy remnant of watchmen who will not be silenced. In spite of being mocked, scorned and ridiculed, these servants cry, It is now midnight, the bridegroom is coming for his bride. Jesus will soon be at the door. Christian, be ready to meet your Lord. Prepare for glory! The good news is that there's still time. The door is still open. And the Lord's greatest desire is to have you at his side for the marriage supper of the Lamb. He loves you even in your negligence.

If you want to be a wise virgin, there are two steps you must take. They're simple steps, but they can't be overlooked!

1. Make Christ the center of your thought life. Let the Lord be in all your thoughts. When you wake up in the morning, whisper his name. At night, as you're going to bed, call out to him in thought and on your knees. Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatso-ever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things Philippians 4:8 Let this verse be the basis of a simple prayer for you throughout the day: "Jesus, you are true, honest, just, pure, lovely. You are my Good News."

2. Pray throughout the day, "Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner." This simple prayer is the oil for your lamp.

Praying it daily is how you begin to prepare to meet the Lord. You're telling God, "Father, I'm not worthy to be called by your name. I need your mercy. Whatever goodness I may possess gains me nothing. It's all filthy rags in your sight. I know I can't be saved by my good works. I need your grace. I humble myself before you now. Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner." When the publican first prayed this prayer, Jesus said of him, I tell you, this man went down to his house justified Luke 18:14

In other words, here was one to whom Jesus will open the door. Repent, and determine to seek Jesus with all your heart, mind, soul and strength. He promises that if you do, you're sure to find him. He will open every door to you

No comments: